Ordinances #308 designates snow emergency guidelines within the City of Bennington. When a snow emergency is declared, an announcement will be made on two or more radio or television stations. During a snow emergency, motor vehicles shall only be parked on the streets as follows:
• On odd numbered days (for example January 3, 5, 7, etc.), motor vehicles shall only be parked on that side
of the street that has an odd numbered address (for example 113, 115, 117, etc., N. Molley).
• On even numbered days (for example January 2, 4, 6, etc.), motor vehicles shall only be parked on that side of the street that has an even numbered address (for example 112, 114, 116, etc., N. Molley).
• The purpose of these requirements is to ensure public safety and to allow for expeditious clearing of snow and ice from streets.
• …”No Parking” signs shall not warrant the issuance of traffic tickets during a snow emergency while persons comply with the requirements of this section.
• Vehicles parked in violation are declared a nuisance and a danger to interference with snow emergency operations, and the city law enforcement officers have the authority to ticket the registered owner and order the removal of any vehicle parked in violation. Expenses incurred in the ticketing or towing and storage of such vehicle shall be paid by the registered owner.
Ordinance #309 regulates removal of ice and snow from sidewalks within the City of Bennington.
• It shall be the duty of the occupant, as well as the owner of any lot, land, or real estate in the city to clear all ice and snow from the sidewalks within twenty-four hours after the cessation of any storm or fall of snow.
• It shall be unlawful to place snow and ice on any alley or street from private sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, roofs or other private property.
• If any person is injured in body or property because of neglect, failure or refusal of any occupant or owner to clear the sidewalks abutting the premises of snow or ice, the owner shall be liable to the city for any amount of damages and costs recovered by the injured party against the city.